Search This Blog

Monday, January 27, 2014

And the Winner Is...

Today the 2014 American Library Association Youth Media Awards were announced, and as always are a fantastic list of deserving authors and illustrators. While I'm a little late with this, I'm using the ALAYMAs to launch my list of #MustReadin2014 books. (Because apparently the excitement generated by the announcement keeps overloading the ALA website, I'm linking the list from the CBC website here. Also take a look at the Horn Book reviews.) Congrats, too, to Brian Selznick for being announced as this year's Arbuthnot lecturer. I've included links to the author/illustrator websites. Please visit them, and buy from your local indy book store.

My favorites off the list this year are (out of the ones I've read so far)...drumroll please...

Journey by Aaron Becker (Caldecott Honor recipient)

Locomotive by Brian Floca (Caldecott Medal and Sibert Honor recipient)

Nelson Mandela by Kadir Nelson (Scott King Honor for illustrator recipient)

The Watermelon Seed by Greg Pizzoli (Geisel Award recipient)

Mr. Wuffles by David Wiesner (Caldecott Honor recipient)

And the book that gave me chills and a major brain worm:

Doll Bones by Holly Black (Newberry Honor recipient)

No comments:

Post a Comment