Search This Blog

Friday, August 29, 2014

Sad Middle Grade Fiction...Really, People?

After a summer of a vacation from blogging, school has started and once again I am immersing myself in children, information, and children's literature. Battling burnout, I took a break from children's literature. I lazed (well, sort of, with two graduate classes and an IT internship) over World of Warcraft, Buffy the Vampire Slayer (and Angel), and many comic books (Sandman, Deadpool, X-Men, Avengers, and Wolverine).

Back in the pleasurable grind of supervising four elementary school libraries, training two new assistants, meeting new kindergarteners, and renewing professional and student relationships, I revisited the bin of Illinois Bluestem and Rebecca Caudill nominees for 2015 that I neglected for two months. First, my question to the two committees is, "How many sad animal books do we need to read in one year, really?" REALLY? The ONE subgenre I DETEST. So, I still have not read A Dog Called Homeless, The Five Lives of Our Cat, Zook, The One and Only Ivan (don't judge me), and Chained. I bawled over One For the Murphys. I ignored my husband and daughter to find out what happened to the three children in The Clockwork Three. Legend I read in one sitting, most of the others I enjoyed as well, but I draw the line at animal books. When will I be able to read the books on these lists without my normally dry and rational self turning into a weeping ball of incoherent mush? Seriously, committees, find a happy place next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment